Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Roy MacPherson visits his roots

The photo's and comments below have been submitted by Roy MacPherson.
Thanks for the Photo's Roy.















Hi Folks,
My parents emigrated from Scotland to Cherrywood in 1928. They lived for a short time on the farm which on the Map of Cherrywood of 1967 is owned by A Holmes on Concession Road 3. The farm on the opposite corner ( A Wood ) was at that time owned by my Mothers Uncle and Aunt, John and Agnes Barnes. I was born in 1931 in Rhodes Avenue, Toronto, and brought to Scotland by my Motherlater that year.Last year I was fortunate enough to be able to return to Canada and visit both Toronto and Cherrywood. Now I know why my Mother always had a serene smile on her face when she spoke about her time there. Life would have been very hard in those days, but the place would more than make up for that. She often spoke about Mr Morrish at the store and Dr Simpson who lived near by with affection.
The first photo is of my Mother, Mrs Catherine MacPherson, my Brother, James, and my Sister Catherine taken at the Farm they emigrated to in 1928. My Brother attended Cherrywood School for a while when they were there.He would have been about 6 at that time . Catherine is 3 years younger. The other Picture is of me standing in the same place last year, when I was at last able to visit Cherrywood for the first time in my life. To find such a large part of my past virtually unchanged was remarkable as there are parts of Edinburgh which are now unreconiseable from my childhood. I have lived here since about Sept / Oct 1931. I thank all the People who have fought to keep their Heritage from being destroyed in the name of progress. All the best to you all. Roy Macpherson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home